Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A tarantula in network marketing!!??

Part I of II

A tarantula in network marketing, now that would be scary, but let’s put it into perspective. My oldest daughter has a tarantula, I know, I know, YUCK! But as I always say things happen for a reason and you can learn something from every experience. So here are the things I learned by Jessica (my daughter) having a tarantula.

The first is personal and may seem like it has nothing to do with network marketing, but it does. I was deathly afraid of tarantulas almost my entire life, since I can remember. It probably had something to do with my brother chasing me with a full blown poster of a tarantula until I was sitting in the corner crying hysterically. Do you have a visual? LOL. But anyway, I was scared of them and all spiders for that matter, but when Jessica brought this tarantula home, I faced my fear and held it. Only for a second mind you, but I did do it. I overcame my fear by telling myself it was silly to be scared it was not going to bite me and even if it did, I wouldn’t die. It might hurt a bit, but I would survive. Well I have become more accustomed to the tarantula – which by the way is named Vorto – Vorto is Otrov spelled backward and Otrov means poisonous in Croation. I know, and I held it right? Well since that day I have been even more courageous and I had it on my belly the other day. Felt really weird. Don’t get a visual of that please. Well my point is this. I could have continued to be scared and not held Vorto, but I made the decision to do it anyway. And that is a skill needed in any business but especially a home based online business in the network marketing industry.

If you are going to build a business and speak with people you are going to have to face some of your fears like rejection, communication, either written or oral, learning new skills, your friends and family possibly laughing at you, failure and there are plenty more. You are going to have to decide what is important to you and how badly you want it. You see I didn’t want to be afraid of the spider but something ingrained in me a long ago time ago, which served no purpose now was holding me back.

What is holding you back? What will it take to get you past it? It starts with a thought, so what are you thinking about?

A great book I would recommend is "Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway" by Susan Jeffers. Great for personal development and to move past your fears. My mentor when I first got started in this industry, and whom I still work with Aaron Rashkin, a successful entreprenuer and six figure income earner, recommended that book to me years ago, and it has proven to be an invaluable part of my library.


Check back for part II of Tarantula’s in Network Marketing and some pictures of me with Vorto!

No comments: